Wednesday, October 8, 2014

'Mayberry' no more

Yesterday was Brent's 15th birthday.  I looked at him with bewilderment, like so many other mothers do as their children morph into adults, right under their nose.  I remembered his birthday three years earlier, as his hair fell out at the beginning of his osteosarcoma treatment and as I worried about our collective future.  Today, we have much to celebrate and so much to be grateful for.


Along with being the beginning of 'birthday season' in our house, September is pediatric cancer awareness month.  Add this to the beginning of school chaos and you can see that we have certainly been hopping. But in stark contrast to our fall of three years ago, it has been a really wonderful sort of busy. 


We are most grateful for the many instances of pediatric cancer being featured over the past month, such as the efforts of Hoda Kotb and the decision by the Cincinnati Bengals to support Devon Still and his young daughter who is currently battling advanced neuroblastoma.  Sharing these stories, featuring children in their cancer struggle is most meaningful, particularly when they also provide opportunities to help fund research.

To cite our own example, a week ago, Brent participated in the annual Flashes of Hope event.  He suited up in a tux and was paired up with James Jones of the Cleveland Cavaliers, walking the runway at Quicken Loans Arena along with other pediatric cancer survivors in front of over 1500 people.  He looked great, very confident in his stride and most outrageously, pulled out his phone and took a selfie on the catwalk. We hooted and howled from our seats.



We have long teased Brent for being Mayberry-like, in stark contrast to Lauren's outgoing "Hollywood" personality. It appears that we are going to have to amend our nickname...perhaps "Broadway" would be more fitting for Brent now, reflecting his affection for New York City.


The audience watched a video in which Alex and some other siblings describe the impact of cancer on their lives.  They may have been unaffected physically, but certainly have not been spared emotionally. 


http://vimeo.com/107935878


Then Dan and I watched the bidding, as the research dollars were collected.  I am unable to articulate how meaningful it is to witness the generosity of Dan Gilbert, of the Cavaliers, of Clevelanders in general.  I believe that the bad news too often gets the attention.  I was reminded again of how wonderfully kind people can be, whether we choose to focus on it or not.  


I volunteer at University Hospitals, and on Monday was asked by a woman how it was that I came to be involved.  I shared the basic outline of our story, of our four pediatric cancers.  She looked at me wide-eyed, fairly horrified, and asked,"How do you deal with it?"  I assured her that the kids were doing fine, melanoma treatment withstanding.  Really.  Truly.


But today, thinking about it, I know that the better answer lies in having faith.  I really, really struggle with the notion that it is all beyond my control, which I openly acknowledge.  But every morning, to bolster my faith, I read about the latest research, about all cancers, not knowing what cancer I might need to understand next.  I know that this may seem odd, but I find great comfort in the knowledge that scientists, physicians and researchers are all working hard to figure out a solution.  It reassures me, and helps me to cope. 


It gives me hope.


So, last week, in a magical evening, over one million dollars was raised via Flashes of Hope, dollars that will fund research, and by extension, helped to support my faith.  Because on this evening, I saw my son who lost his right pelvis to cancer, and who was supposed to lose that leg altogether, walk confidently across the stage, happy and healthy.  It was a celebration.  An affirmation.  A gift from God and an answer to countless prayers.


While I know that we are not necessarily done with cancer, we have been enormously blessed to get to this point.  I am both grateful and hopeful.


The gold ribbons have been exchanged for pink ones now, as breast cancer gets center stage for a month. But for us, every month is about pediatric cancer.




Many thanks to Flashes of Hope, Allison Clarke and the Cleveland Cavaliers for providing such a terrific night, supporting children with cancer as well as the researchers that are trying to cure them.









No comments:

Post a Comment